Thinking about IPv6 and DEPRECATED addresses

Randall Stewart rrs at cisco.com
Fri Mar 2 12:59:44 UTC 2007

Tsuyoshi MOMOSE wrote:

> On 2007/02/28, at 20:33, Max Laier wrote:
>
>>> So, I am contemplating adding to rtsock.c the ability to
>>> send these types of events up. I am thinking on adding
>>> this there for two reasons..
>>>
>>> a) SCTP already hooks into the routing socket to get
>>>     interface changes.
>>> and
>>>
>>> b) It may well be a relevant fact that if an address becomes
>>>     DETACHED or non-DETACHED (etc) for a routing process
>>>     to want to know about..
>>>

>>> What do others think? If I am off in the weeds somewhere and
>>> this does not concern the routing socket I could use other
>>> methods .. including isolating the "look at the state" flags
>>> into a special place so that proper locking could be added
>>> when we actually do locking for the ifa's... of course I would
>>> prefer just not to have to look at it :-D
>>>
>>> Opinions if this is a good idea or not??
>>
>> Great idea.  I'm also CC-ing Tsuyoshi MOMOSE who is working on importing
>> MIP6 which will likely be interested in this information (in userland) as
>> well.  AFAIK, the mnd already listens on the rtsock to pick up new
>> addresses as soon as possible, but not sooner (for which it has to go
>> through great lengths).
>
> Thanks for CCed to me.
>
> As Max said, our Mobile IPv6 stack uses rtsock to detect changing
> address address such as added, deleted.
> (but actually, the program which listens the rtsock is not mnd but
> mdd(babymdd). The aim of mdd is just detcting the movement of the node
> and notifies to mnd its movement information)
>
> To do that, SHISA introduces a new routing socket message RTM_ADDRINFO
> which is sent from kernel when a new address is attached, detached, and
> DAD was done. So, you can get an address information soon as possible.
> I guess the message meets Randall's requirement for the SCTP.
>
> I don't start the SHISA porting to the head yet, but I can begin the
> port first from the RTM_ADDRINFO part if you hope.

Well it might meet some of them.. I need to know when DAD is done, but
also if a interface detaches.. aka stops hearing the RT adverts.. and
then later starts hearing them again..

I was thinking of all the various states V6 addresses go through..

Now, I would love to look at your "patch" if you could send it
to me.. and see if it can be the basis for what I want.

Will you be at the WIDE meeting next week? Or maybe BSD Asia.

If so maybe we could meet up to discuss this :-)

--
Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.