is CARP still impossible on SMP in 6.2?

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 1 14:52:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:08:21PM +0300, dima wrote:
d> > On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 02:28:13PM +0300, dima wrote:
d> > d> I'm trying to make CARP working on a 2-Xeon hardware. It worked OK on 5.5, but not on 6.2.
d> > d> The result of compiling both
d> > d> options  SMP
d> > d> device   carp
d> > d> into the kernel makes it crash in 'swi1: net' kernel thread on a random (usually first) use of the CARP facility.
d> >
d> > Can you please provide a backtrace?
d>
d> It's not that easy. The server becomes extremely unstable under these conditions.
d> I tried to build the kernel with '-g' option and included 'dumpdev' in /etc/rc.conf. The server can't even make a memory dump: it either gets one more page fault or just stops responding to anything but Reset key in the beginning of the dump.
d> It's strange since it rebooted well while the kernel was built without debugging symbols and a dumpdev. Any ideas how I can make a memory dump?

Why do you think the CARP is guilty in this unstableness? Are you triggering
MASTER<->BACKUP events and this causes instability?

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE