bin/114081: [patch] ppp(8) should be able to set ethernet address for PPPoE

Frank Behrens frank at pinky.sax.de
Thu Jun 28 12:00:16 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR bin/114081; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Frank Behrens" <frank at pinky.sax.de>
To: "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: bin/114081: [patch] ppp(8) should be able to set ethernet address for PPPoE
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:39:10 +0200

 Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz at FreeBSD.org> wrote on 28 Jun 2007 8:54:
 > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Remko Lodder wrote:
 >
 > > Synopsis: [patch] ppp(8) should be able to set ethernet address for PPPoE
 > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114081
 >
 > I have more complete patches since 2004 in my private tree for exactly
 > the same DTAG reason;-)

 :-) Unfortunately I did not find them before. I believe we need in offical FreeBSD documention
 a link list to users patch directories. ;-)

 > The very early versions are still around here:
 >  	http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/patchset/
 > 10005-10008* I think. But they are highly outdated.
 >
 > I can upload newer versions somewhen the next days.

 Fine. Do you believe, that this functionality can go into FreeBSD sources?

 > BTW: are you putting your NIC into promisc mode using ifconfig? I
 > cannot see how you would receive the packets for a different MAC else?

 Hm, interesting question. *I* did not bring the NIC into promisc mode, but it seems to be. For
 PPPoE I use a vlan interface, and parent and sibling are marked PROMISC. I don't know,
 where it comes from: dhcpd, rtadvd, ...?

 Conclusions?
 1. My patch may not work, because it may require PROMISC mode. I will test this.
 2. Should we create a patch for mpd? (See discussion on freebsd-net).

 Thanks for your answer. Regards,
    Frank
 --
 Frank Behrens, Osterwieck, Germany
 PGP-key 0x5B7C47ED on public servers available.