Issue with huge numbers of connections

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jun 17 17:42:02 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I have a friend who is having problems with a service he's running.
He gets billions and billions of connections to this service a day.
Somewhere between 10^8 and 10^9 connections, he notices that his
servers lose the ability to accept new connections.  These are TCP
connections.

This is with FreeBSD 6.1R.  My first question is: does anybody know if
the fixes to -current/7.0 have fixed this?  Is there a fix that can be
back ported?  He's currently working around the problem by having a
number of different machines that reboot in a round robin fashion, but
would like a better solution.

Warner