CARP on backup doesn't relinquish MASTER

Rudy Rucker crapsh at monkeybrains.net
Fri Jun 15 09:05:34 UTC 2007

Ah... put it will also failover all the OTHER carp interfaces on the box
when a physical interface goes down....  I had read the man page as that
being the ONLY feature of that sysctl variable.

net.inet.carp.preempt
    Allow virtual hosts to preempt each other.  It
    is also used to failover carp interfaces as a
    group.  When the option is enabled and one of
    the carp enabled physical interfaces goes down,
    advskew is changed to 240 on all carp interfaces.

THanks!