if_bridge and ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Jon Otterholm jon.otterholm at ide.resurscentrum.se
Mon Jun 4 09:59:14 UTC 2007

I'm havinf trouble sending packets to the ethernet broadcast address on
an if_bridge. It seems as if the onley packets sent from my router to
ethernet broadcast is arp. I have the following conf:

bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast x.x.x.x
        ether 00:90:4b:1a:xx:xx
        member: em0.10 flags=1<LEARNING>
        member: em0.10 flags=1<LEARNING>

+ additional ~80 if's

sysctl's:
net.link.bridge.pfil_onlyip=1
net.link.ether.ipfw=0
net.link.bridge.ipfw=1
net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge=1
net.link.bridge.pfil_member=1
net.link.bridge.ipfw_arp=1
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

In detail the problem is related to dhcpd working an if_bridge.

I know that if_bridge handles arp/revarp in a different manner than
other traffic to ethernet broadcast, could this be a bug?

//Jon