Interface security considerations

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 31 09:42:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Victor Loureiro Lima wrote:

> - While I was trying to figure out which process was listening on a certain
> interfaces an idea for a patch in sys/net/bpf.c functions bpf_open() and
> bpf_close() that would simply printf(9) the PID (d->bd_pid =
> td->td_proc->p_pid;) of a process that was trying to open the BPF device,
> while it was a simple patch, I am not sure if using the BPF device is the
> only possible way to sniff the packets from an interface, I know that linux
> implement sock_packet, and some systems have DLPI, just to get things
> straight, If an application wants to be able to sniff packets on a interface
> the only possible way (without messing with kernel at all) is using the BPF
> interface or are there other ways (even if they are not portable out of
> FreeBSD at all) of doing this?

FYI, the semantics of bd_pid are potentially confusing: bd_pid is the process
ID of the process that has most recently issued an operation on the BPF
descriptor.  Since more than one process at a time may have a reference to the
same BPF descriptor (discouraged, but possible), bd_pid doesn't reflect all
the processes that have in the past used the descriptor, or may even be using
it when queried.  fstat and other tools that derive consumer information from
process and file descriptor tables are the only way to gather a full list of
current consumers of a BPF descriptor.

BPF is the only formal API for network interface-layer packet sniffing, but
there are a variety of services that can be used in FreeBSD to sniff packets.
For example, using the IPFW firewall, it is possible to tee the packet stream
to a divert socket, which provides access to the active packet stream visible
to IP.  PF and ipfilter also offer similer facilities, which I believe are
even directly supported by tcpdump.  And, the administrator can always load
custom kernel code to the same effect, as there are network interface
programming hooks in netgraph that allow attaching to the packet stream.
Compiling BPF out of the kernel will make it more complex to sniff packets.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge