VLANs and DHCP

Yuri Lukin lists at swaggi.com
Wed Jan 24 13:28:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 04:15:02PM -0000, jhall at vandaliamo.net wrote:
> I currently administer a system which has two DHCP servers on two
> different VLANs.  Unfortunately, the two servers are not playing together
> well and some comptuers are receiving IP addresses on the wrong network.
> So, with our phone vendor's blessing, I am trying to move all of the DHCP
> services to the FreeBSD server.
>
> The computers on the network are supposed to receive an IP address on the
> default vlan and the phones are supposed to receive an IP address on their
> vlan.
>
> Essentially what happens when a phone is booted, the phone receives an IP
> address on the default VLAN, releases that address and then requests an IP
> address on the appropriate VLAN.

Just a thought but if your switch properly tags the packets from the voice and
data Vlans, the broadcasts from the IP Phones should not cross over to the
data Vlan. We  have dozens of customers setup this way and they are not having
any problems. Not sure what type of switches you are using but I would check
your switchport configuration (assuming managed switch).

    Yuri