VLANs and DHCP

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 24 01:47:56 UTC 2007

jhall at vandaliamo.net wrote:
> I currently administer a system which has two DHCP servers on two
> different VLANs.  Unfortunately, the two servers are not playing together
> well and some comptuers are receiving IP addresses on the wrong network.
> So, with our phone vendor's blessing, I am trying to move all of the DHCP
> services to the FreeBSD server.
>
> The computers on the network are supposed to receive an IP address on the
> default vlan and the phones are supposed to receive an IP address on their
> vlan.
>
> Essentially what happens when a phone is booted, the phone receives an IP
> address on the default VLAN, releases that address and then requests an IP
> address on the appropriate VLAN.
>
> How do I specify to FreeBSD which VLAN should be the default?  I have read
> some information which seems to be conflicting.  One article indicated
> vlan0 is the default vlan, and another seemed to indicate vlan1 was the
> default vlan.
>
> Or, have I just overcomplicated this?

You have a DHCP configuration problem, not a FreeBSD problem. You'd be
better off posting to a DHCP list.

What you want to investigate between now and then is whether the
phones are sending a client identifier that you could ignore in your
computer dhcp conf file, and/or explicitly listing the MAC addresses
of whichever set of devices has the fewest members, and then giving
every other client an address on the vlan that you configure in dhcp
to be the default.

hth,

Doug