Wireless NIC recommendation

Lars Stokholm lars.stokholm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 06:11:08 UTC 2007

Lars Stokholm wrote:

>>> http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts/default.asp
>>
>> Wow, I actually think I found a card there, that is guaranteed to
>> work. Is this really the end of all my struggles? :) For only 50 USD.
>> There seem to be only one version of the card.
>>
>> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=12
>> http://edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=38373 (in Danish)
>>
>> The two cards /are/ the same, right?
>>
>> Also, it says 108Mps? Does it matter that my AP is only 54Mbps?
>
> There's *one* other card on the list that seems perfect for me:
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Communication/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=988&ProductName=GN-WP01GT
>
> http://edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=249274
>
> 1.0 - I guess that means, that there is only one version. This card is a
> little cheaper and also newer. Should I go for this instead?

It's me again... :)

Honestly, do anyone see any reason not to buy the GIGABYTE card? Unless
that's the case, it's likely that I'll do it, within the next 10 hours
or so. What I like about this card is that it supports more features, so
hopefully I'll not have to look for a replacement again, until many
years from now.

FreeBSD 6.2 should support ANY Atheros based card, with the exception of
those based on the 5005VT chip. I'm pretty sure, that this card is
Atheros based, since all the drivers available on the website are
Atheros. Also it's mentioned on:

http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts/default.asp

And it's definitely not using the 5005VT chip, so all should be good.

Speak now or forever hold your peace. :) Even if you're only suspicious.

Thanks,