Diagnose co-location networking problem

Matthew Hudson fbsd at synoptic.org
Thu Jan 4 11:34:17 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 08:07:59PM -0800, Stephan Wehner wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> to give a short summary; I contacted this list to ask for help with
> diagnosing a problem with a co-located server (accessible at
> http://stbgo.org) running FreeBSD 6.1. When I swamp it with requests
> (simply, lynx -dump http://stbgo.org > /dev/null in a loop)
> some responses take 90 seconds -- far too long. This is reproducible,
> but seemingly not from other source addresses - only my own (home)
> machine, 64.114.83.92

Stephan,

I haven't yet looked at the new data you've reported because of the
last point that you mention, the point that I brought up in my
previous email, is of critical importance.  There is currently
evidence that suggests the possibility that this problem is not
reproduceable from anywhere but your home network.  If that is indeed
the case then what you have is likely not a problem with the FreeBSD
networking code on your colocated box but rather a problem with
your home network.  If so, then this is the wrong forum to seek
assistance in troubleshooting a non-FreeBSD networking problem.

Before we can meaningfully assist you with your issue here, we're
going to need to see evidence that shifts the finger of blame
back towards the FreeBSD networking code and away from your home
network where it is currently pointing.

cheers,
--
Matthew Hudson