iwi leaks memory?

V.Chukharev chukharev at mail.ru
Thu Feb 15 22:29:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

It seems that iwi driver cannot survive more than just a few cycles of switching down/up.
In a place with a bad wireless connection I needed to do that quite a number of times
(that was the simplest way to restore connectivity I knew), and after 5-10 cycles I needed
to reboot my notebook totally.

Can anybody with iwi (<Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG>) confirm (or better unconfirm)
that doing

    for ii in `jot 100`; do sudo ifconfig iwi0 down; sleep 2; sudo ifconfig iwi0 up; done

always results in the following messages (and lost connectivity):

Feb 15 09:43:59 chu kernel: iwi0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 15 09:44:13 chu kernel: iwi0: link state changed to UP
Feb 15 09:44:13 chu kernel: iwi0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 15 09:44:18 chu kernel: iwi0: device timeout
Feb 15 09:44:20 chu kernel: iwi0: could not allocate firmware DMA memory

A fix for this would be even better ;))

Thanks,
--
V. Chukharev