icsphy(4) for nfe(4) - better Microsoft Xbox support

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Wed Feb 7 20:39:40 UTC 2007

Hello,

* Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you try overhauled nfe(4)?
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/if_nfe.c
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/if_nfereg.c
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/if_nfevar.c
>
> The new nfe(4) should perform better than nve(4) or stock nfe(4).
> I'm still not satisfied with its excessive generation of interrtups
> but it's better than stock nfe(4). After switching to adaptive
> polling I saw noticeable performance boost. If you find any issues
> please let me know.

I just compiled and installed a kernel with the new nfe(4) driver and
DEVICE_POLLING enabled. Below are the results of some scp(1) transfers:

stock nfe(4):	2.5 MB/sec
new nfe(4):	3.7 MB/sec
polling:	4.1 MB/sec

The driver is a lot better than the stock nfe(4). Are there any plans to
add the new nfe(4) to the sourcetree?

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/