Bridging with two subnets

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Wed Feb 7 12:05:39 UTC 2007

Hello.
I've got a firewall which has public IP xxx.xxx.xxx.2 on its first NIC.
This is bridged with a second NIC which holds xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24.
(I also have a third and fourth NIC which runs two private IP networks,
which are NATted, but I don't think this matters).

Everything is ok, but now I'm in need to also have a second public IP
network on the second NIC, let's say yyy.yyy.yyy.0/24.
A single upstream router provides us both public nets, but obviously
with two different gateways (xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and yyy.yyy.yyy.1).

The question is: is this possible?

Do I only need to attach the additional yyy.yyy.yyy.0/24 boxes to the
same switch?
Do I need to ifconfig alias yyy.yyy.yyy.2 on the first NIC?
What about the gateway then? Do I still set the first one only?

My answers would be: Yes, No, Yes. I thought I'd ask, however.

  bye & Thanks
	av.