Zero-copy BPF update (was: Re: Aggregating many ports into one for tcpdump server.)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 24 16:40:12 PST 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007, Robert Watson wrote:

> I've put up an updated tarball based on some recent changes here:
>
>  http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/20071226-zcopybpf.tgz

Unfortunately, there was a problem with a change I made to the kernel check
for a userspace notification that a buffer was available via shared memory, so
I have updated the tarball.  While there, I've made the following further
changes:

- bpf.4 has been updated to reflect the shared memory interface.

- I've eliminated the BPF_ZEROCOPY environmental variable in libpcap; libpcap
   will try to use zero-copy BPF if it is compiled into the kernel and enabled.

- The kernel now has a net.bpf.zerocopy_enable sysctl, set to 1 by default,
   which controls whether the kernel will allow new zero-copy BPF sessions to
   be created.

- Memory barriers and atomic operations have been introduced on the shared
   memory interface to improve correctness on platforms with weaker memory
   consistency.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge