Packet loss every 30.999 seconds

David G Lawrence dg at dglawrence.com
Tue Dec 18 06:41:35 PST 2007

> Thanks.  Have a kernel building now.  It takes about a day of uptime
> after reboot before I'll see the problem.

   You may also wish to try to get the problem to occur sooner after boot
on a non-patched system by doing a "tar cf /dev/null /" (note: substitute
/dev/zero instead of /dev/null, if you use GNU tar, to disable its
"optimization"). You can stop it after it has gone through a 100K files.
Verify by looking at "sysctl vfs.numvnodes".
   Doing this would help to further prove that lots of allocated vnodes
is the prerequisite for the problem.

-DG

David G. Lawrence
President
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.