is carp on if_bridge possible?

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Sun Dec 16 13:59:29 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 4:03 PM, Han Hwei Woo <hhw at astutehosting.com> wrote:

>  Hi Niki,
>
>  I hope I'm understanding you correctly, but the reason you're running
> if_lag is so that failover will occur even if there is a switch failure?
>
>  If you enable preempt by setting: sysctl net.inet.carp.preempt=1, and you
> have a carp running on the routers' interface that goes through the
> switches, all the carp interfaces would failover in the event of a switch
> failure, including the external facing one. With bridging or link
> aggregation, there is nothing to stop a router from staying the master on
> the external interface, even if the switch it is connected to fails.
>

>  Cheers,
>  Han Hwei Woo

Hi Han,

Yes, I have net.inet.carp.preempt enabled, but i'm using carp only on
the internal interfaces to provide virtual default gateway for the
servers behind it.
Each of the routers speaks BGP (using openbgpd) to our provider and
has it's own fiber uplink. The routers are also directly connected to
each other with iBGP and OSPF(using openospfd) so this is not an
issue.

Regards,
Niki