initial call for review.. initial multi-fib (routing table) support

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 14 02:51:13 PST 2007

Julian,

First of all, thank you very much for starting this work in a much
needed area.

Julian Elischer wrote:
> This is a call for review for a change that is part of a
> longer term project.
>
> This implements multiple routing tables. Eventually the implementation
> will be much cleaner but
> the first implementation is designed to be backported to 6.x
> and thus must be ABI compatible. It need not be particularly 'clean'
> as the version in 8.x will be..  First itis needs to be committed to
> -current in its 6.x form so an MFC can occur, then the cleaner version
> can be committed over the top of it to clean it up.

Few comments:
Allocating multiple radix trie heads is one way of doing this, but it
would be nice to be able to clean up the memory management in the radix
trie in general.

I've seen implementations which do this by assigning index numbers or
bit sets to the radix trie entries. That way, you don't need to keep
multiple redundant copies of the same data around -- this IS the kernel
FIB after all, and if you're running a router in the Default Free Zone,
or with a considerable BGP topology, this kind of redundancy in the
forwarding plane is not an OK use of memory resources.

It's been a few months, but I believe this is how OpenBSD does it; ipfw
also does something similar deep in its innards, the rules are tagged
with bitsets to specify which sets they are present in.
  [I see similar memory management issues with C++ STL containers, which
irritates me; Boost++'s multi_index_container is an analogous idiom.]

One of the big strengths of the BSD radix trie, as implemented by Keith
Sklower, was that it could be regression tested independently of the
kernel. I'd very much like to see this capability retained, and perhaps
expanded upon, as this is a sensitive area of work.

I'd encourage you to take a look at the OpenBSD changes. They are much
less invasive than this patch, and whilst they don't provide the
setfib() syscall functionality, that could be easily grafted on top. I
understand your folk's requirements for multiple tables, I'm sure there
is a possible fit here given the idioms described herein.

As I say it's been months since I last had a chance to look at this, and
I am busy finishing up the first phase of another project, so I don't
have all of these changes to hand -- however -- here's a good date and
starting position:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/net/radix.c.diff?r1=1.20&r2=1.21

I know there is an element of Not-Invented-Here which creeps in, but,
when all is said and done, OpenBSD's approach is viable, compact, and
simple, and addresses folk's immediate requirements for multi-path support.

They don't address SMP, multicast, or source address selection, but
those are future development stories.

cheers
BMS