bikeshed for all!

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Dec 13 11:32:28 PST 2007

Li, Qing wrote:

> [...]

Routing domain/instance is orthogonal to interfaces...
if you want to isolate interfaces to 'virtual hosts' you want vimage
which I also plan on seeing in the system. :-)
There is no reason why you couldn't have several virtual hosts,
each with different interface sets and each running several routing instances.
with this you could implement several routers, each with several VRFs,
but all in the same box.

One selects a vrf/instance for incoming packets via ipfw or pf.
One selects a vrf/instance for locally generated packets via the vrf the socket is attached to.
(ipfw/pf can probably over-ride that but I haven't done it yet so I don't know)
the socket gets its vrf/instance from the opening process, or a sock-opt.