arp rewrite...

Bruce M. Simpson bms at icir.org
Wed Dec 12 04:47:48 PST 2007

Julian Elischer wrote:

> I think that breaking the arp code from the routing code
> need to proceed.

I agree wholeheartedly. The coupling of the ARP code to the forwarding
code in the BSDs has been largely historical. Other implementations have
done this, and it generally simplifies the layer 3 forwarding code.

If done carefully, the performance impact should be minimal. rwlocks
might be the way to go here.

In my opinion this kind of change has been needed for a long time, sadly
I can't offer any resources to help move this along just now.

Best regards
BMS