Pipe queues

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Mon Dec 10 11:04:04 PST 2007

Hi,

I'm having a hard time to understand what pipe queues are with respect
to bandwidth limitation. ipfw(8) and dummynet(4) manuals didn't help me
much.

How does dummynet's traffic shaping function? Why does it need a queue
at all? As each connection's queue takes some memory, can I just disable
the queueing, or set its size to 1 slot (1500 bytes)? What if I set it
to 10000 slots, why should it wait to fill the queue before starting to
send stuff out the network interface? As packets arrive, AFAIK they are
stored in mbufs in system memroy. Do pipe queues also use mbufs? I might
be servicing hundreds of pipes simultaneously, this is why I'm concerned
about memory use.

Thank you for any insights.