Aggregating many ports into one for tcpdump server. (also sampling before libpcap)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 9 08:41:55 PST 2007

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Peter Wood wrote:

> I'd prefer to use sampling rather then just accepting kernel droped packets
> to ensure fair selection over a time period, rather then only collecting the
> start of that period and then nothing else.
>
> I'd be willing to look into implementing that perhaps in the same way that
> Juniper Networks do for their sampling, ie. a maximum number of packets to
> be sampled in a second, how often to sample in terms of packets and then
> when sampling how many packets it should sample.

Something that would be quite easy to do is add a "select 1 in (n) matched
packets for sampling", and just adding a counter to each BPF device that goes
up with each seen (but not necessarily sampled) packet.  You could imagine
more complex solutions that were more capable.  Regardless, I suspect that the
mechanism to implement a sampling scheme for BPF would be pretty straight
forward and I'd be happy to lend a hand.

If you take a look at points in the bpf.c that call bpf_filter() and
catchpacket(), that should get you the points of interest for such a decision.
For simple rate control, I suppose one wants to do the sampling before calling
the BPF filter to avoid burning CPU processing the filter for packets you
won't accept anyway, in as much as that doesn't modify the semantics of the
sampling and filtering models.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge