physically contiguous jumbo frames

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 02:20:47 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 03:04:27PM -0600, Alan Cox wrote:
 > The reimplementation of contigmalloc(9) in HEAD and RELENG_7 makes the
 > allocation of physically contiguous jumbo frames a real possibility.  If
 > you're using jumbo frames, please test the attached patch.  Andrew
 > Gallatin has already tested this patch with mxge and asked that I bump
 > __FreeBSD_version.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Alan

This is great news. I've tried to modify nfe(4) to use UMA backed
jumbo frame instead of local allocator and it showed very good
results. After 7.0 goes out I'll fix msk(4)/nfe(4) and ti(4).
It seems that lge(4) also uses local allocator but I don't have
that hardware so lge(4) wouldn't be fixed.

Here is patch for nfe(4) that takes advantage of UMA backed
jumbo frame.
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/nfe/nfe.jumbo.patch

Thanks so much!
--