em0 - bge0 failed to work at 1000baseTX

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:36:20 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jack Vogel wrote:
> > On 4/24/07, Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to get two gigabit network cards to work together.
> >>
> >> em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection Version - 6.2.9> port
> >> 0x1000-0x101f mem 0xf0500000-0xf051ffff,0xf0524000-0xf0524fff irq 19 at
> >> device 25.0 on pci0
> >>
> >> em0 at pci0:25:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x2800103c chip=0x104a8086 rev=0x02
> >> hdr=0x00
> >>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
> >>     class      = network
> >>     subclass   = ethernet
> >>
> >> and broadcom on the other end:
> >>
> >> bge0: <Broadcom BCM5750 C1, ASIC rev. 0x4201> mem 0xf4100000-0xf410ffff
> >> irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci8
> >>
> >> bge0 at pci8:0:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x30a3103c chip=0x16fd14e4 rev=0x21
> >> hdr=0x00
> >>     vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
> >>     device     = 'BCM5753M NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express'
> >>     class      = network
> >>     subclass   = ethernet
> >>

> >> When I connect both networks without switch e.g. directly they auto
> >> negotiate to:
> >> media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
> >> but I want 1000baseTX :(
> >>
> >> First thing that I tried was to force both network card with:
> >> ifconfig bge0/em0 media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
> >> but this lead to status: no carrier
> >>
> >> Second step was to set bge link0 and em0 link1, but still "no carrier"
> >> (from bge manual)
> >>
> >> On the machine with em card I have linux installed so I boot under linux
> >> and then everything works
> >> with autoselect, and I'm able to transfer with speed +50MB/s.
> >>
> >> When I forced both network cards to 1000baseTX I notice this:
> >>
> >> em0 media: Ethernet 1000baseTX <full-duplex> (autoselect)
> >>
> >> ^^^^^^^^
> >> bge0 media: Ethernet 1000baseTX <full-duplex> (none)
> >>
> >> ^^^^
> >>
> >> Something else that is quite strange is that when I change em media from
> >> autoselec to 1000baseTX,
> >> I see that for 2-3 seconds there is a connection between cards (e.g.
> >> status: active), but just for 2-3 seconds
> >> and then it disconnects again. (ping between hosts works for 2 seconds)
> >> At this time ifconfig shows:
> >> em0
> >> media: Ethernet 1000baseTX <full-duplex>
> >>
> >> ^^^^^^ no autoselect here ?
> >> status: active
> >>
> >> and bge0:
> >> media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseTX <full-duplex>) ( I left bge to
> >> autoselect at some point as I saw it does not change a thing..)
> >> status: active
> >>
> >> I compiled new kernel with
> >> #define EM_MASTER_SLAVE      2 (and then 3)
> >> in if_em.h (as I'm suspecting em driver ..)
> >> but still no success.
> >>
> >> Last thing that I notice while (re)booting freebsd server with em0 is
> >> that
> [...]

Actually yes, I talked with the Linux engineer in our group that oversaw
the release of ICH8 and there is a problem with OS vs Management
use of the NIC that was discovered and fixed in Linux recently, and
my driver does not yet have this.

Let me come up with a patch for you to test, it may take me a day,
things get busy here at times :)

Jack