rtentry and rtrequest

Alan Garfield alan at fromorbit.com
Sat Apr 21 16:30:13 UTC 2007

Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>> ----
>> Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input.
>> ----
>
> That looks like data corruption happening when TCP segments and/or
> IP packets become relatively large, i.e., approach or reach the mtu
> limit.

Indeed that would appear to be the case.

>> I'm sure it's something to do with how I'm doing the output. Does this
>> look sane?
>
> Well, there's certain space for improvement,

Aww it's not _that_ bad is it. :) hehe

> but now I fail to find a
> bug that would result in corrupted data.

Phew /me wipes brow... so I'm not _totally_ useless then. :)

> Would you mind testing the link with ping using packets of size
> equal to, just below, and slightly above the mtu, and with different
> data patterns?  See -s and -p options to ping.  You can observe the
> patterns in echo replies with tcpdump -X.  The data patterns in
> echo requests and echo replies should be exactly the same.  If they
> aren't, the character of corruption can hint you at the bug.

I've done a pretty preliminary tcpdump'ing and the packets seem ok above
and below the MTU via the bpf taps. I wonder if it's a bug in the SP
side... then again I could be completely off base and it's all my dodgy
codes fault. :)

I'll poke around with tcpdump and ping a bit more.

Many thanks again Yar,

Alan.