attempting VPN again

Jim Stapleton stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 12:51:24 UTC 2007

OK, I found a Windows based VPN server at work (we have one windows + 2 cisco)

I figured I'd try that because it was the least painful to setup
elsewhere (meaning fewer things that vary in configuration?), and I
found *some* references to connecting to it.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-June/010891.html

Here are my files. Anything in ALL CAPS is a replacement for some
information I'd rather not display publically.

/usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.conf
vpn:
	new -i nve0 vpn vpn

	set iface session 28800
	set bundle authname "WORK-DOMAIN\\WORK-USERNAME"
	set bundle enable compression
	set ccp yes mppc
	set ccp yes mpp-e40
	set ccp yes mpp-e56
	set ccp yes mpp-e128
	# set this to your correct routing information
	set iface route EXTERNAL-WORK-VPN-IP/24
	set link enable no-orig-auth
	open

/usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.secret
WORK-DOMAIN\\WORK-USERNAME	WORK-PASSWORD

/usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.secret
vpn:
        set link type pptp
#        set pptp self 1.2.3.4
        set pptp peer EXTERNAL-WORK-VPN-IP
        set pptp enable originate outcall

sjss at elrond 08:12:45 (1) /usr/local/etc/mpd  > sudo mpd
Multi-link PPP for FreeBSD, by Archie L. Cobbs.
Based on iij-ppp, by Toshiharu OHNO.
mpd: pid 91637, version 3.18 (root at elrond.ameritech.net 22:07 19-Apr-2007)
[vpn] interface "nve0" is not a netgraph interface
[vpn] netgraph initialization failed
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
mpd: no bundles defined
[:]

Here's a point of confusion for me (I tested all using ipconfig):
(1) My machine at work is a windows machine, ip config reports a
netmask of 255.255.254.0
(2) The machine I admin is also windows, with 255.255.255.0 as it's netmask
(3) My windows desktop, when VPNing in has a netmask of
255.255.255.255 for the VPN interface.

Any suggestions on how to get this up? This is one of only two tasks I
need to boot into windows (at home) to accomplish currently, and I'd
like to rectify that.

It looks like I need to make a netgraph bridge, but I don't know where
to start looking for that one. Netgraph(4) wasn't enlightening for me.
The ipsec section of the handbook left me more confused then I was
when I started.

Thanks,
-Jim Stapleton