Much improved sosend_*() functions

Randall Stewart rrs at cisco.com
Fri Sep 29 13:56:25 PDT 2006

Mike Silbersack wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>

>>over it an copies the data into the mbufs by using uiomove().  sosend_dgram()
>>and sosend_generic() are change to use m_uiotombuf() instead of sosend_copyin().
>

> Can you do some UDP testing with 512b, 1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, and 16K packets to
> see if performance changes there as well?

Hmm.. I would think 512b and 1K will not show any
improvement.. since they would probably end up either
in an mbuf chain.. or a single 2k (or maybe 4k) cluster..
... quite a waste.. now if we had 512b and 1k clusters that
would be cool...

In fact I have always thought we should:

a) have no data portion in an mbuf.. just pointers i.e. always
    an EXT

b) Have a 256/512 and 1k cluster too..

This would allow copy by reference no matter what size si
being sent...

But of course .. thats just me :-)

> How about local sockets?
>
> Impressive improvements for TCP, in any case!
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222 (cell)