LACP 802.3ad and ng_fec ?

Antony Mawer fbsd-net at mawer.org
Fri Sep 22 16:21:18 PDT 2006

On 23/09/2006 4:47 AM, Bart Van Kerckhove wrote:
> Özkan KIRIK <ozkan at mersin.edu.tr> wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply,
>>
>> It seems that HP ProCurve 5400 series doesn't support fec trunking :
>>
>> hp(config)# trunk A3-a5 trk1 fec
>> Invalid input: fec
>>
>> hp(config)# trunk A3-a5 trk1 ?
>>  trunk                 Do not use any protocol to create or maintain
>> the trunk.
>>  lacp                  Use IEEE 802.1ad Link Aggregation protocol.
>>  <cr>
>> hp(config)#
>>
>> Can ng_fec handshake with switch via "trunk" option instead of "fec" ?
> According to HP docs, FEC should "work" with the 'trunk' setting.
> It will loose all features tough, and just become a 'dumb' bonding-style
> thing, with no redundancy and other features.

Yes, I was reading some HP docs yesterday and they implied that they
were removing FEC on newer switches in favour of using the IEEE
standards-based methods of trunking.

I wonder how dissimilar FEC and IEEE LACP are from one another? ie. how
much of the code from ng_fec could be used to implement an ng_lacp...

--Antony