Stale PCI ID

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:03:00 PDT 2006

In the last attempt to merge community CVS with Intel internal code I
came across an issue I'd like to bring up.

There is an ancient e1000 card, pci id 1000, an 82542, that we
don't have in our source, yet community cvs still does. Support
for this was removed from Linux long ago because the card did
not even work.

I just had our test group hunt up one of these and test, and sure
enough, the driver recognizes it, but it does NOT pass traffic.

Clearly no one is using these, at least not with STABLE :) and
as Intel does not want to support this I would recommend removing
the ID from the driver.

Comments?

Jack