problems with ng_fec

Robert Blacquiere freebsd-net at guldan.demon.nl
Thu Sep 7 02:15:30 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 10:56:48PM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (asked this first on -questions, but it seems that this exceeds their
> wisdom...)
>
> I'm using a recent -current on amd64, and trying to use ng_fec to
> hopefully provide a wide-bandwidth connection with cable-level
> redundancy, and instead I get get errors and sporadic connectivity.
>
> I configured fec0 as such:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> ngctl mkpeer fec dummy fec
> ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"em3"'
> ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"em7"'
> ngctl msg fec0: set_mode_inet
> ifconfig fec0 up
> ifconfig fec0 inet 10.184.1.19 netmask 255.255.0.0
>
> The Cisco 6509 I was attached to had ports configured with:
>
>  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
>  switchport mode trunk

You need a port channel interface and make the switchports member of the
port channel.

some thing like:

!
interface Port-channel1
 description 2 combined interfaces to freebsd fec0
 switchport
! only needed for vlan tagging...
! switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
! switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z,...
! switchport mode trunk
! mtu 9216
 no ip address

interface GigabitEthernet5/1
 description UPLINK #1
 switchport
! needer only for vlan tagging
! switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
! switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z,...
! switchport mode trunk
! mtu 9216
 no ip address
 no cdp enable
channel-group 1 mode on

interface GigabitEthernet5/2
 description UPLINK #2
 switchport
! needer only for vlan tagging
! switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
! switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z,...
! switchport mode trunk
! mtu 9216
 no ip address
 no cdp enable
channel-group 1 mode on

> When I tried to ping various hosts, however, I got sporadic and
> intermittent connectivity to other hosts on the network.

This is spanning tree behavour....

> Dmesg follows after log entries.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> ==ml

Hopeful this will give you a head start in configuring the cisco.

Robert
FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!