patch to support setting carp state with ifconfig

Nick Barkas snb at threerings.net
Fri Oct 27 07:46:04 UTC 2006

Hello-
A few months ago I wrote a small patch that allows ifconfig to
explicitly set a carp device to MASTER or BACKUP state. The code is
based upon OpenBSD's ifconfig, which has this feature. This is handy
for situations where you want an active carp interface to fail over
to/take over from the other host, perhaps for testing purposes or if
you have a failed master you've brought back up that you want to take
over again for a currently active slave host.

The patch is attached to this PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-
pr.cgi?pr=100956. No one has sent any followups to the PR, but I
thought there may be someone on this list interested in having this
feature added.

Nick