Somewhat weird net behavior

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 21 15:28:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Milan Obuch wrote:

> I know this is really minimum information here, but I need just an idea what
> to look for. It is strange for me - is it some memory leak? How could it be
> cleared with simple ifconfig up? Did anyone seen something similar?

It is pretty minimal information :-).

ifconfig down / up will cause the device driver to be reset, the link to be
re-negotiated, etc.  The buffer full error from ping means that the outbound
interface queue has filled, and if the error doesn't go away, it means it's
likely wedged (no longer being processed).  This could reflect a bug in the
device driver, a problem with the switch, etc.  In the "wedged" state, what
does ifconfig report about link negotiation?  When you reset the interface,
does the negotiated link type change?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge