D-Link DGE-530T

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Tue Oct 3 22:57:50 PDT 2006

Tim, good day!
> I'm probably better off doing the patch. Though, honestly, I've done very
> little actual 1 on 1 patching.
> If I remember right its:
> # patch src-file < patch-file
> (Maybe this'll be a good chance for me to sneak a peak at some real NIC driver
> code to get an idea how it's done.)
No, you just should do
-----
# cd /sys/dev/sk
# patch < patch-file
-----
The patch-file that will do the job is attached to this message.

> I'll back up the original, read the man page and give it a shot.
> After patching it, though, can I just compile that kernel module again?
> # cc if_sk.c
> (Would that be right?)
>
> Or do I need to rebuild the whole kernel?

If you're using the GENERIC kernel then the device is built-in, so
you should recompile the whole kernel. It is also easy:
-----
# cd /usr/src
# make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
-----
But if you want module, you can get it through
-----
# cd /sys/modules/sk
# make
-----
This should give you if_sk.ko. You can install it to /boot/kernel by
doing 'make install' or can copy the file anywhere you want.

>And, then, building it on one machine, would "transplanting" the newly compiled
>driver to the pfSense router be as simple as coping the new .ko file into place
>(assuming I can just do the module)
>Or, what if I'd need to transplant the whole kernel?
Newer played with pfSense or m0n0wall, so can not say for sure, sorry. If
you will dig something out, drop me a message.

> Eygene, I greatly appreciate your help with this.
You're welcome ;))
--
Eygene