ping -f panic [Re: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 FreeBsd Drivers]

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Sat Nov 25 22:43:55 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Max Laier wrote:

> On Saturday 25 November 2006 23:20, Nicolae Namolovan wrote:
>> But I need to use it on a production server and the CURRENT one is too
>> unstable, without too much thinking I just run ping -f 127.0.0.1 and
>> after some minutes I got kernel panic, heh.
>
> could you please be more specific about this?  My rather recent current
> box is running for over 45min doing "ping -f 127.0.0.1" with no panic or
> other ill behavior so far.  After about 10min I disabled the icmp
> limiting which obviously didn't trigger it either.  Could you provide a
> back trace or at least a panic message?  Thanks.

I haven't seen any problems with ping, but ttcp -u causes the panic in
sbdrop_internal() about half the time when the client ttcp is killed
by ^C.  There is apparently a race in close when packets are arriving.
The stack trace on the panicing CPU is (always?):

     ... sigexit exit1 ... closef ... soclose ...
     sbflush_internal sbdrop_internal panic

and on the other CPU, with net.isr.direct=1 it was:

     bge_rxeof ... netisr_dispatch ip_input ...
     sbappendaddr_locked mb_ctor_mbuf --- trap (NMI IPI for cpustop).

and with net.isr.direct=0, the other CPU was just running "idle: cpuN"
and the bge thread was in ithread_loop.

Bruce