Virtual switch on FreeBSD

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 05:16:57 PST 2006

Hi,

What I would like to do is have a sort of virtual switch emulated on
my machine - to this I would like to attach a virtual interface on the
host system, and then I am hoping that would allow me to have some
sort of stable environment for jails, because I could then alias the
jails' IP addresses to the virtual adapter and it would be like a
network in its own right with many IP addresses for many jails.

The reason I cannot do this under the host is that my main network
adapters are all DHCP, and I would like to be able to access the jails
any time. I would like to remove the dependency of the jails on the
host environments network interface configuration.

I honestly do not know whether this is possible, and having reviewed
the VLAN documentation, netgraph and tun/tap, I don't know where to
start let alone if the facilities are there.

Please CC me in any replies as I am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks, Alex J Burke.