Posting restrictions on this mailing list (for spam control)?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Nov 6 14:42:59 UTC 2006

Spadge <spadge at fromley.net> wrote:
 > Ross Finlayson wrote:
 > > Am I the only person who's tired of all of the spam on this mailing
 > > list?  Why is this mailing list not set up so that only subscribers to
 > > the list can post to it?  This has been standard mailing list procedure
 > > for several years now.
 >
 > Spam is annoying, for sure. But I think every now and then spamassassin,
 > or whatever system the board uses, dies, and on those days we get a
 > bunch of spam. Usually, though, it's fixed pretty quickly ... until the
 > next time.
 >
 > It's quite possible that, as the list members aren't moderated, the
 > sending bots actually sign up. I'm not sure about this, though. I've not
 > tested the list with an unsigned address, either, but it's quite
 > possible you do have to be a member to post.

I'm not subsribed to any of the freebsd mailing lists, but
I read many of them through an NNTP gateway.  I can post to
them, but some lists afre set up to require approval of
mails by a moderator, so my mails are somewhat delayed,
but that's not a big problem.  I think -hackers, -current
and -arch are the lists requiring approval.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Please reply to -chat (this is off-topic on -net).

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel