PPP IPv6 prefix length and stateless autoconfiguration?

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Wed Nov 1 07:39:33 UTC 2006

(sorry for the delayed response, been busy for a while...)

> This appears to make the autoconfiguration work fine, and I
> encountered no other connectivity issues in brief testing;
> but a coworker of mine noticed that ifconfig no longer showed
> the destination address, and I investigated and found the
> 128-bit enforcement in in6_update_ifa().  This makes me somewhat
> nervous; but if configuring a PPP/IPv6 interface without an
> IPv6 destination address is the intended method of use,
> I'd be more comfortable with this.  Is that the standard
> way of doing things?

I don't know in which sense you mean "standard", but in any event,
it's an implementation specific decision (not required by a protocol
specification).  I believe it's at least doesn't break any protocol
standard, or cause a problem in operation (except incompatibility with
an application or operation that has a different assumption as you
saw).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.