Help moving from local lan to internet

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu May 25 10:54:24 PDT 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Ed Pigg wrote:

> Now when the server starts it hangs for aboutn 5 minutes when the "starting
> sshd" message is displayed. I can ping the name servers, but nslookup times
> out when querying well known web sites. I must have overlooked something or
> left something out? Any help appreciated.

Just because you can ping a nameserver doesn't mean that the name server
is there (or available for you).

You can easily test by using some other nameserver (unless you have some
firewall restrictions somewhere). For example, does the following work for
you?

  host www.freebsd.org NS0.FREEBSD.ORG

Then also test using your IP for nameserver as listed in your
/etc/resolv.conf (replace A.B.C.D below):

  host www.freebsd.org A.B.C.D

Make sure your /etc/resolv.conf file is correct format and has correct
name servers that you have permission to use.

Or run named on your FreeBSD box and use it.

Have a look at the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-configfiles.html

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8 at I;C5?@H5B0D at 5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'