Help moving from local lan to internet

Ed Pigg ed at questinformation.com
Thu May 25 10:33:19 PDT 2006

Hi all. Please be kind. Help.

I have been using a server to develop on and am prepared to move to the
internet. I orginally set up the server on a 192.168.x.x network and
have been using it for about a month. I want to move it to the internet
and am having trouble configuring the network manually.

I set the ip address with subnet mask and default router in
/etc/rc.conf. I edited /etc/resolv.conf and changed the name servers to
the correct name server address.

Now when the server starts it hangs for aboutn 5 minutes when the
"starting sshd" message is displayed. I can ping the name servers, but
nslookup times out when querying well known web sites. I must have
overlooked something or left something out? Any help appreciated.

Ed Pigg