nfsd and CPU/performance problem

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed May 24 12:53:18 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:15:42PM +0200, Marko Lerota wrote:
> Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> >    Hi Marko,
> >
> > Actually i dont find that load critical. I think those lines well tell that actually the process is running 581m42s and now it utilizes 13.48%
>
> Sometimes it was 80%
>
> > which sounds like a "kernel tuning issue" if you have excluded nfsserver out of your kernel config last time u were compiling it. if you didnt just skip this part at this time.
> >     please make sure that the following lines do exist
> >     options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem  Client
> >     options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
> >     options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
>
> No
>
> > These options are added in rc.conf and server now works correctly.
> >
> > rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
> > rpc_statd_enable="YES"
>
> It didn't help.

See discussion on stable@ for what is believed to be the problem.
Backing out the changes to vfs_lookup.c would work around the problem
for now (although it reintroduces other bugs).

> Now cpu is like it should be, but BSD crashes twice a day
> with nothing in logs that I can find.

What do you mean "crashes" then?  Do you need to configure crashdumps
as described in the handbook and developers' handbook?

Kris