Anyone heard about Broadband over power lines???

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed May 24 05:22:28 PDT 2006

On 5/23/06, Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago, a group of individuals have demonstrated
> us with devices that can be used to extend your
> network throughout every corner of your company
> through the use of electric outlet... A quick googling
> tells me that such technologies are already existing
> long time ago and some Electric companies in other
> parts of the world also are now providing Internet
> services to their costumers at an added cost.. Do you
> know any ongoing opensource initiative regarding this
> technologies??
>
> Thanks

The 'in-building' kind is called HomePlug. It's a good alternative
when wireless, and wired, technology is infeasible. When setup
correctly it's link stability is greater then 802.11x, but expect
speeds in the range of 4 - 10Mbps and about half the range of a
typical LOS wireless link. YMMV, oh and the spec does include
encryption, 56-bit DES I believe. For the most flexibility look for
Ethernet bridge devices.

The other one your thinking of is called BPL, Broadband over Power
Line: http://www.arrl.org/bpl/
A better solution to BPL is fiber on the poles and wireless for the
'last mile', they already have the easements to set everything up but
are just to lazy to do it.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/