improving transport over lossy links ?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sun May 21 19:33:00 UTC 2006

At 01:15 PM 21/05/2006, Brian Candler wrote:
>On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 11:09:23AM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > The internal USR seems to correctly see the carrier drop and PPP
> > hence sees it.  However, the 2 external Intels I am experimenting
> > with on the USB serial ports do not.
>
>USB-serial adaptors tend to be very broken, unfortunately. I don't know
>about under Windows, but under FreeBSD/Linux where drivers seem to be
>reverse-engineered, several I've tried don't seem to handshake properly. I
>tried two back-to-back to run a local pppd link and it failed (haven't had
>time to debug that one)
>
>IMO there's no substitute for a real COM port.

I was hoping to use some of the Soekris 4801s which have limited
expandability.  I need 2 serial ports for the application and then
the modem of course.   Under FreeBSD I have used the uftdi based
adaptors for OOB console access and they seem to work OK.

>A pair of analogue modems will never negotiate v90,

This is the modem connected to my terminal server which is connected
via PRI. I dont have any analog modem to analog modem setups.

         ---Mike