trunk interface (was (no subject))

Thomas freebsdlists at bsdunix.ch
Fri May 19 07:54:01 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 18.05.2006, 18:05 -0700 schrieb Julian Elischer:
> Thomas Vogt wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Thanks. I know about the netgraph ether/fec interfaces. But I thought
> > about a solution without netgraph. AFAIK Netgraph implies overhead
> > and ng_ehter is more complicated to set up. This is a problem with
> > non technical people. I'm happy they already know a bit about
> > ifconfig commands.
>

> two items.
> 1/ ng_fec only uses the config framework of netgraph. For data it goes
> direct to the interfaces.

Ah good to know. Since this is for a network course it would be easier
if this "trunk" could be setup via ifconfig command. But I will try it.

> 2/ netgraph is not that high an overhead.  (what made you think it was?)

Well I heard that netgraph has some overhead on various conferences. I'm
planning to use such a feature on very very high loaded GigE router,
every extra kernel hook could cost some performance, IMHO.

Thanks and cheers,
Thomas