Load Balancing

Michael Jeung mjeung at cisdata.net
Thu May 18 22:41:06 UTC 2006

Hey folks,

We currently use DNS round-robin to balance traffic to servers.
We've recently run into situations where multiple search engine
spiders are crawling our webservers.  They appear to be targeting
specific webservers by IP address.  This defeats DNS round-robin and
as a result 1 of our webservers starts responding very slowly since
it's full of search engine spiders.

I recently looked at the port solution "'balance" and it seems like a
great answer for our problems.  The difficulty I'm running into now
is that if I put all the webservers behind a single balance server,
now the webservers are only receiving traffic from the balance server
and this messes up our traffic reporting tools since it now looks
like all the traffic is coming from a single IP address.

I'm sure this is a common problem.  Does anyone have a good solution
to this?  Essentially, I want all the benefits of load-balancing with
none of the single-IP-traffic drawbacks. =)

Regards,
Michael Jeung