Cluster solution

dima _pppp at mail.ru
Wed May 17 18:06:56 UTC 2006

> You'd need to be more specific particularly with how much money you want to
> spend.  HA Clusters are expensive to build.

The question was about FreeBSD. Do you know any HA solutions working with it? My company would be glad to spend quite a lot if there were one.

Don't top-post, please.

>          -Derek
>
> At 10:18 AM 5/17/2006, Ludovit Koren wrote:
>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I need help in designing of cluster solution based on FreeBSD. I tried
> >carp for switching IP addresses, it seems to work ok. The solution is
> >suitable for DNS, MTA, static web pages, web proxy and reverse proxy.
> >
> >I didn't find anything quite suitable for dynamic web pages with PHP
> >and MySQL backend. I found just master and slave replication and
> >clustering in MySQL. There could be problem if master fails with
> >automatic promotion of slave to master and with the resynchronization
> >of database after recovery of master database.

We've built a setup for dynamic pages on CARP and mod_backhand (apache module). It doesn't scale to more than 50 application servers though. The shared storage is a big problem. All the well-known (?) SAN filesystems doesn't work on FreeBSD. We're testing FreeBSD NFS client for stability (see my thread on this list); NFS server doesn't seem to be ready for production use. We're going to purchase a clustered NetApp solution (now testing on Solaris as NFS server).
You can apply a "circle" replication using standard MySQL features. This method is used in livejournal and officially admitted by MySQL AB; it doesn't provide scalability though. We're trying to make 2 "master + multiple slaves" hierarhies; the solution is not ready yet. If PostgreSQL is an option in your project it provides a better idea (see pgcluster).