iwi(4) problem on start

Darren Pilgrim darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org
Tue May 16 18:53:55 UTC 2006

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Darren Pilgrim wrote:

>>> Oh, forgot to say, AP is in BSS network-mode with 64-bit WEP encryption.
 >>
>> Do you have the word "up" in your ifconfig line?
>
> No. But interface is up:
> iwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 >
> If it not in UP state? And no magic happens when I try ifconfig iwi0 up
> now. Just outgoing traffic helps.

It's been a long time since I've used an open/WEP wireless network, so
this is from aged memory:

When you config the interface for the first time, you have to include
"up" in order for the interface to come up correctly.  Doing so
afterward doesn't have the same effect.  Add "up" to the end of your
ifconifg_iwi0 line in /etc/rc.conf and then do:

# /etc/rc.d/netif stop iwi0
# /etc/rc.d/netif start iwi0