vlan/bridge problems..

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Fri May 12 19:18:37 UTC 2006

Evren Yurtesen writes:
| I tried to bridge vlan with ethernet but I am having troubles.
|
| net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: fxp0:2,fxp3:2,fxp2:3,vlan0:3
| net.link.ether.bridge: 1
| net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw: 0
| net.link.ether.bridge_ipf: 0
| net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_drop: 0
| net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_collisions: 0
|
| fxp0 - fxp3 bridge works fine
| vlan0 is attached to fxp3 (trunk)
|
| vlan0 - fxp2 bridge doesnt work! I can ping IP of fxp2 but not to any
| host connected to fxp2.
|
| Can this be because I am using fxp3 as a normal interface + a vlan trunk
| at the same time?

It wouldn't work for me since the if_vlan device call the device driver's
output mechanism direct and the SW input path would ignore handling of VLAN
packets ... or atleast this used to be issues.  My machine's that I needed
this for are patched locally to make it work.

I don't know the current state of this.  It gets to be a bit of
a mess re-injection the packet into the stack on output with loops etc.
The ordering of post netgraph/bridge has some issues.  It probably
should be tagged and use that to prevent loops.

Doug A.