How do i send mail to certain domain users over external smtp using sendmail?

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Thu May 11 13:42:09 UTC 2006

The door open and in walked trouble - disguised as our our old
nemesis Nash Nipples, who uttered, at Thu, May 11, 2006 at 04:27 :

> Duane Whitty <duane at greenmeadow.ca> wrote: Nash Nipples wrote:
> >            hi, i just dont see any options to make it work

> >  "| /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -t" works fine
> >  but "| /usr/sbin/sendmail -O ConnectOnlyTo=smtp.external.co... -Ac -t" just wont work:
> >  WARNING: RunAsUser for MSP ignored, check group ids (egid=10103, want=25)
> >  can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/... Permission denied
> >  Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.
> >  554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
> >
> >  I dont want to set up trusted users. Any work-around available?
> >
> >  thanks

> Hi,
>
> To clarify for myself, are you asking:

> given domains abc.com, foo.com, bar.com , and anotherdomain.com

> how to use your local SMTP to send mail to abc.com and foo.com but use
> an external SMTP to send mail to bar.com and anotherdomain.com?

> If so, then you can use the SMART_HOST define and the confCW_FILE define
> in your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file and put hosts you want processed via
> local
> SMTP in the file defined in confCW_FILE define.  If you just have one domain
> you want handled locally then you might also just put an entry like
> Cwfoo.com in /etc/mailsendmail.cf.  Your file names may vary depending
> upon you configuration.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Duane Whitty

It's really pretty easy.  Look at 'mailertable'.  You can set mail
to any domain you wish to go through any SMTP server you are
permitted to use.  Some places won't accept my mail as even though
I"m on a STATIC IP and have been the same one for 3 years, they
consider all DSL lines as spam sources.  So depending on end
destination I send some to my providers transport, and others off
to another machine I manage.

Setup is simple.

abc.com		smtp:<mail.somedomain.net>

And then just run make in /etc/mail to compile it.

Sendmail is very flexible.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com