bge and "no carrier" on IBM Blade 8843L1U

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat May 6 02:22:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Jonathan Feally wrote:

> Why whould you want to use that kernel option?

I was told it was broken without the option also. I was told that ifconfig
said "no carrier" with the default GENERIC kernel (while it worked fine
with CentOS).

(Since it doesn't have network access and I am 1800 miles away, I can not
easily check. I am relaying messages.)

> I don't see that it is a requirement on the blade how-to. My guess is
> you haven't specifically set the interface to a media speed and duplex
> as the option indicates to me that the driver would not attempt auto
> negotiation. If the option is not required - lose it - otherwise try
> adding a media option to your ifconfig.

Thanks. We'll give that a try. (I now recall that I had to do that with
bge on some other hardware over a year ago.)

 Jeremy C. Reed