Is there an API for ipfw?

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Mar 31 22:17:44 UTC 2006

четвер 30 березень 2006 17:06, Luigi Rizzo написав:
> If you are doing it a lot more often, you should probably
> also consider the effect of such frequent changes to the
> pipe's configuration - e.g. pipes respond with a delay
> which is inversely proportional to the bandwidth, so in
> many cases still doesn't make sense to change the pipe's
> rate 100 times per second.

So far I'm just playing with the rules manually. I create a pipe with:

	ipfw pipe 1 config bandwidth 22200KByte/s

and send all NFS traffic through it with:

	ipfw add 100 pipe 1 ip from any to 172.21.128.43 dst-port 2049

This works most of the times, but if sometimes, when I try to change the
bandwidth from command line:

	ipfw pipe 1 config bandwidth 24MByte/s

the NFS clients stops writing ALTOGETHER and begins logging complaints about
the NFS server (172.21.128.43) not responding. At that point, I must delete
the rule 100. The other rules are simply:

	65533 allow ip from any to any
	65535 deny ip from any to any

Why would altering the bandwidth slightly (up) freeze all traffic through the
pipe? Thanks!

	-mi